Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Brave, New World

I'm thinking this morning about the new world my family and I are entering: the world of homeschooling. Specifically, I'm thinking about what it will take to stay focused on the goals we've set for our son, and on his learning.

It is an intimidating world of overachievers and, I sense at times, competition over what the children are learning and doing. It will require a LOT of prayer to refrain from joining in the craziness and to stay grounded in what's best for our family. Even if that seems mundane and ordinary to the outside world. Even if that means what we do isn't flashy or trendy (as far as the homeschool world goes).

There are tons of cool ideas for learning. It's easy to get caught up in the reading about all of the ideas. There are tons of cool activities for each and every subject. It's easy to get lost in the overdoing at the expense of relationship with Jesus and with each other.

I want simplicity. I want growth in my son's and my relationship with God and each other. I want to foster the love of learning. And I'm realizing more and more that what will help us with those goals is to be on our knees. Frequently throughout the day.

Prayer will be the essential foundation to our learning.

No comments: