Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Headless Chicken Dance

(Warning--you may interpret the imagery in the next paragraphs as graphic. Do not tell the animal rights people.)

Life whizzes by so fast sometimes. We all run around like chickens with their heads cut off. We all know the saying. Have any of you ever seen a chicken do that? I have.

After they are decapitated they go running willy nilly in any random direction and sometimes bounce off an obstacle. Their legs go fast and their wings flap until eventually (it doesn't take long) they fall over onto their side and lay there flapping and quivering until the quivering slows and ceases altogether.

Now picture about 50 chickens like that (for the record, I've not seen that!). I think it's a good description of our society.

I know I was made for a purpose. I know most times I have direction and my eyes fixed on eternity. But some days I just feel like a chicken whose head was suddenly removed. I feel like I'm at high speed running from or towards I-don't-know-what because my eyes in my head are laying on the ground and not attached to my body. And everyone around me is doing the same.

And we bounce off each other, say "hi" and "blurti-blurt-blurt" in a moment of quick impact before we crash into the next body. Eventually we fall over. I've not fallen over yet. But I want to. So here's the next thought.....

Part of me wishes I could fall over to get out of the random crazy blind chicken dance. But part of me feels if I do, I will be forgotten and replaced. And no one else in the midst of their chicken dance would even notice that Chris Chicken is not running around with them or bumping into them any more. I feel I'm easily replaced by a new bumper chicken. (At least maybe the new bumper chicken will have bigger breasts. Ahem.)

Sigh. Sing with me everyone.....(making chicken beak movements with your hands and flapping wings with your elbows. It's a Wisconsin wedding custom, doncha know!)....."nah-nah nah-nah nah-nah nah......"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

snort, (trying to contain the liquid damage to my keyboard)

you know what comment caused the expulsion of water.

ah, ha hoo.

Chris said...

Come on. It wasn't THAT funny! hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!