Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thanks, Father Joel!

I listened to a homily today of a friend of ours. He was ordained to the priesthood in July. At his inaugural mass, he spoke about God's call on our lives (the theme of the scripture readings for that day....which, for you non-catholics.....run on a 3-year cycle in the liturgy. So they are "pre-set", so-to-speak. Coincidence? I think not!).

Anyway, he said he realized in seminary that he was waiting for this big moment where he would choose to be a priest in answer to God. In reality, he found that he answered this call daily. Every morning when his alarm went off at 5:15 for morning prayer and mass, he had the choice to get out of bed or to sleep in. He chose to get up. When he met someone who was suffering, he had the choice to listen to them or not. He chose to listen.

So he was answering God's call to him, but sometimes moments at a time, day to day. And it got me to thinking that often I strive and pray to grow spiritually to a certain image I have in my mind of how I should be. Or I think about what God will call me to in the future. And I forget the here and now. And that God calls me daily....even several times a day.

Do I choose to clean the house for my family, or piddle away time on the computer? Do I choose to sit and listen to my boys, or multi-task and offer an occasional, "really?" "oh, wow!" Do I choose to start my morning with prayer, or get right into my long list of stuff to get done? Do I choose to participate in gossip, or walk away from the conversation?

Hmmpf. There is that "live in the moment" theme that has been so prevalent lately on my mind.

The other thing Fr. Joel's homily reminded me of is that God's call to us is never convenient. And it always requires sacrifice.

But God only calls us to what he first lived himself.

Help me choose you, Lord. Every moment.

(Found this quote by Rich Mullins on another blog, and thought it fit great here):

"Never forget what Jesus did for you. Never take lightly what it cost Him. And never assume that if it cost Him His very life, that it won't also cost you yours."
Lufkin, Texas (July 19, 1997)

No comments: