Monday, August 27, 2007

Rejection of a money tree

I had a conversation with a terminally ill man and his family today. Before I left the house, I asked if there was anything else they needed. The man responded with a twinkle in his eye, "a body overhaul." I smiled and said that usually people asked me for a money tree. His response: "Well, that's stupid. Why would anyone want more money?"

My first thought was that this man knew his priorities. And my second thought was that it is easy for us in America to decline a money tree.

He still has his priorities right. He is dying. What use does he have now for more money?

A woman on an online board I'm part of just posted to please pray--that her husband might not make it through the night. He has terminal cancer. They have young children. They only found out about his diagnosis about a month ago. They learned of his prognosis only days ago.

I remember a childhood prayer I said every night. "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

And if he were to take my soul tonight, would I say I had my priorities in line? Today, I would say yes.

I pray tomorrow and the next day and the next, that I still say yes.

Constant diligence and vigilance. "For we know not the hour....."

No comments: