Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"Intentional Presence"

At mass tonight, Fr. Dave was talking about how God is an intentional presence in our lives. And it got me to thinking about all of the other "intentional presences" in my life. And am I an intentional presence in others' lives??

I confided in a chaplain coworker of mine 14 years ago as a new hospice social worker that I didn't feel like I was making a difference in any of the lives of the patients I had seen. I felt awkward at times, didn't know what to do, or what to say to make it better. Not only did he remind me that we cannot take others' pain from them, he said, "never underestimate the power of your presence." Hmmm. I often return to that advice when I cannot see the impact of my life on others' lives.

Be an intentional presence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In your work life and in your home life, just being there for someone in person, in prayer, for support, and being who God made you to be is an intentional presence for all of us. You do a beautiful job of using the gifts God gave you to be a presence in the lives around you. Including ours!!! Thank you!