Sunday, December 2, 2007

Dressing Up

The end of one of today's readings (from Romans 13: 11-14) says, "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the desires of the flesh."

Do I consciously do this every morning as I start my day? Do I "put on" Christ? I need to be more diligent about doing this daily.

The problem is.....to put Him on, I either need to take self off, or put Him on over self. And too often I kinda like my self to show. Self is comfortable. It's easy. It's like a pair of jammy pants or broken-in blue jeans. I like the admiration I get for self sometimes. I want to take credit.

But the cool thing is.....if I'm diligent to put on Christ, it's a natural consequence that I make no provisions for the desire of the flesh. Because it's Christ I wear then and not myself. Self and all of its desires are left in the hamper. And even though I don't get credit, I'm more attractive to more people because God is love.

So I hope you don't see "me" tomorrow. I hope you see that I have dressed up and put on Christ.

No comments: