Monday, October 22, 2007

Hypocrisy at the Bedside

I was visiting with my favorite woman on our hospice services right now. She's always been independent and spunky, even into her later years. Now she needs assistance getting out of her hospital bed and is dependent upon others for even basic needs.

She is struggling with her dependence. She has been the one through the years to care for others. Now she is the recipient. Her family wishes she didn't struggle so much with this. So we had a discussion about how she could see their care as an expression of their love for her now, and that if the shoe was on the other foot, she knows how much she would love to help them, and to let them help her as her body gives out on her.......yada, yada, yada.

I'm a hypocrite. I struggle myself with accepting care and help from others. I imagine I would feel the same way as she if I were laying in the bed in her place.

I think if we were two kids talking, she would say to me, "yeah? Well your words bounce off of me right back to you!"

So if I'm going to encourage her in this, I guess I have to work on it myself.

No comments: